Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Burlington Vermont Real Estate - Downsizing Our Homes???

January 19th, 2010

Burlington VT

I was having lunch at the Brick Store in Charlotte Vermont the other day and overheard several conversations about residents considering whether to downsize their homes. I overheard others having this discussion while waiting for my latte at the Shelburne Wine and Coffee Shop in Shelburne VT a day later.

It's not uncommon to hear people talk of downsizing their homes at all these days. In fact, I think it's on a lot of people's minds.

Usually, people take this step once kids are off to college and the need for all that extra space diminishes. In addition, as we get older, we look for homes that are smaller or that fill our needs as we near retirement (i.e having the master bedroom on the main floor should a health impairment prevent climbing stairs.)

Moreover, I hear people contemplating the size of their homes as though they have some newly discovered social or moral awakening. "How much space do we need?", they ask. What is our 4,000 square foot home's carbon footprint? Is it wise to live in the country so far from services? Can I walk to the stores or the bank? How much time do I spend in my car each day driving back and forth to everything? Should we downsize to reduce our expenses? Should we downsize into a condo and buy a 2nd home in a warmer climate for winters?

And that list goes on and on and on...

Of course, determining what suits you is a process unto itself. It requires careful consideration. Particularly, in this real estate market.

If you are considering listing your home in and around Burlington Vermont for sale and downsizing into a smaller home or condominium, please give me a call or email me to discuss the market and your options. I would be delighted to assist you in this important next step of your life. I can be reached on my direct line at 802.238.5256 or email me at Chris@ChrisHurdVT.com

As always, please feel free to post your thoughts and any comments about downsizing right here on Hurd's The Word.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very informative real estate blog. Thanks I have bookmarked this one.
Sell Home Fast

pjeary said...

Good thing you have done here, Thanks! This is a pretty up beat post about real estate that I am quoted in.

Click here for : Miami Houses

Patrick said...

I appreciate this post. Very interesting Real estate blog. Hope it will always be alive! Thanks for this

Click here for : Hollywood Houses